"Science and technology give us power but not wisdom
· In August, 1945, atomic bombs instantly reduced the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki to rubble, taking hundreds of thousands of precious lives.
· In June, 1982, the Mayors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki called on Mayors from around the world to join them in working together to press for nuclear abolition.
· The program created by the Mayors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is called Mayors for Peace and is currently composed of 4,037 cities in 144 countries and regions around the world dedicated to the abolition of nuclear weapons.
· The City of Ashland declared itself a Nuclear Free Zone by resolution in 1981.
· The City of Ashland joined the Mayors for Peace in 1998.
· There are currently 6 Cities in Oregon who have also joined Mayors for Peace.
· The current goal of the Mayors for Peace is for a total abolition of all nuclear weapons by the year 2020.
· This year on August 6 through August 9, 2010 Ashland will join cities around the world for a Hiroshima-Nagasaki Vigil in order to remember the events of 1945 and to promote the goal of a nuclear weapons-free world.
NOW THEREFORE, the City Council and Mayor, on behalf of the citizens of Ashland, hereby proclaim August 6, 2010 as:
and hereby proclaim August 9, 2010 as:
in the City of Ashland and invite all citizens to participate in the Hiroshima-Nagasaki vigil activities.
Dated this 3rd day of August, 2010."